Dr. Dave
Dr. Dave, Veterinarian
Experience:  Exotic practice including birds for last 6 years. I personally have a green wing macaw.

bleeding from mouth

bleeding from mouth
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Dave replied 4 years ago.
Welcome to Just Answer. I am sorry to hear about the death of Noidy.

I think I might be able to help, but have a few questions:

1) What kind of bird cage did Noidy live in? (where was it obtained, what was it made out of?)

2) What kind of toys did Noidy have and how were they attached to the cage?

3) What kind of foods was Noidy eating?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Cage was made of iron but he did not chew on it. Spent the day sitting on my mom or dad and sometimes perch, only slept in cage. He did not like toys played w/my parents. Bird seed, egg whites, plain pasta, veges, some table food in small amount such as chicken.
Expert:  Dr. Dave replied 4 years ago.
Ok, thanks for your quick replies.

There could be a number of things that could have caused Noidy's death.

1) Heavy metal intoxication. This is the reason I was asking about his cage/toys, etc. It doesn't sound that this is likely.

2) Chronic vitamin deficiency. With his varied diet, this is not as likely either.

3) Trauma. Birds will sometimes present with these types of rapid sypmtoms after flying into a window or something similar. If he was in his cage all night, this is not likely either.

4) Cancer. Birds get cancer just like people do. At his age, this is a significant likelyhood.

There are other more rare conditions that may have been present. If you want complete closure you can take Noidy to an avian veterinarian and have a necropsy (autopsy) done to determine the cause of death. Be aware, however, that avian tissues decay very rapidly, so if you want to do this option it should be done today.

Please select accept if you found this information useful. I am here for followup information if you have additional questions.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
How could the bird aquire cancer and what type. Could it by chance have been a heart attack or a stroke and if anything could have prevented these three things from happening. Were my parents at fault or did this occur naturally, he was only 23yrs old how long do green conures usually live to be. He was treated like a child and was taken care of with the most carefull and loving manner, they always made sure this bird had anything and everything it ever needed to be healthy and happy. Thank you doctor, please reply.
Expert:  Dr. Dave replied 4 years ago.
A heart attack or stroke is possible, but those are not common occurrences in conures.
Cancer, medically called neoplasia, is a spontaneous process that occurs when a cell starts reproducing more quickly than normal and in malignant cases, erratically. In Noidy's situation, cancer of the respiratory or cardiovascular system would be more likely. In any case, it is not likely that anything could have been done to prevent any of these causes. Feeding a good balanced diet and providing exercise will reduce the risks of cardiovascular disease just like in people. Also just like in people, cancer will occur if it is going to occur. A healthy lifestyle may reduce the risk of cancer as well, but as we all know this is by no means a guarantee.

The lifespan of conures varies to a large degree, but 15-25 years is the generally accepted lifespan.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
This bird was happy and singing and giving kisses acting as normal as can be, how could this bird make an extreme change overnight, without any signs of disdress.
Expert:  Dr. Dave replied 4 years ago.
Avian illnesses very frequently present with the acuity that you describe. It is actually uncommon for birds to have prolonged disease. They are very good at compensating and covering up symptoms until they can't any longer and decompensate. This is a natural instinct. If they easily showed signs of disease in the wild, they would be the first one to be caught by a predator.

I understand that a sudden death like this can be devastating for your family, but I don't think you need to beat yourself up over this. There is not likely anything you could have done to prevent it or even treat it. Even if you had been at a veterinary clinic when it happened, the likelyhood of survival would be almost non-existent.
Dr. Dave, Veterinarian
Experience: Exotic practice including birds for last 6 years. I personally have a green wing macaw.