ukexoticvet, Veterinarian
Experience:  MA VetMB MRCVS

How cold can a Pekin Duck live in, because we are thinking

How cold can a Pekin Duck live in, because we are thinking of moving to Alaska and we have a female pekin duck a male amd a indian runner so we just want to know where to keep them if its cold out. Please answer in F and get the best info you can because my kids really like the ducks and we dont want them to freeze.
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  ukexoticvet replied 7 years ago.
Hi there,
Do you know what the temperature gets down to in the area you are moving to? I would assume in Alaska that it will be pretty low, so I would recommend having the ducks housed in an area where you can use a heat lamp and thermostat to control the temperature in their house.
I'm not certain of the lowest temperature they can cope with, though they tend to eat more and put on more fat as the temperature gets lower.
The following website has lots of information regarding keeping ducks, and one of their contacts may be able to give you info regarding the lowest temperature they would be happy to keep ducks in.
I hope this is useful, please let me know if you have any further questions.