LennyDVM, Veterinarian
Experience:  30 years experience as a veterinarian

I have a bird with a broken neck, Is still alive and trying

Customer Question

I have a bird with a broken neck, Is still alive and trying to fly. He cannot and his head is upside down, but other than that he appears to be OK. I have given him water from a straw and he drinks. I would like to try to stablize the neck. How can I do this ? This bird is a morning dove.
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  LennyDVM replied 7 years ago.

Usually if the neck is broken, the bird is paralyzed and can not move. Very sick birds and birds with some infections often have a limp neck. Most infections would not transmit to humans, but some might. Make sure you pay attention to hygiene and wash your hands after handling the bird.

You are likely to cause more stress and harm by trying to stabilize the neck with a brace or bandage. If you want to try feeding the bird, try to control the bird using a towel and stabilize the neck and head with one hand.

I wish you and the dove the best. Let me know if you have follow up questions.