Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I am 14 months out from gastric sleeve surgery. I am also 14

Customer Question

I am 14 months out from gastric sleeve surgery. I am also 14 weeks pregnant. My ferritin level is 7, iron saturation is 8%, thick is 384 and iron is 32. I have a b12 decency which I take monthly shots for. I also take a prenatal with iron and ferrous sulfate
325mg I believe at a separate time for the prenatal. I have yet to hear back from my doctor. Just wondering what she is most likely to have me do
Category: Bariatrics
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.
You do not say how often you are taking the ferrous sulfate each day, but if you are only taking it once a day at a separate time from the prenatal vitamins, the usual next step would be to increase the frequency of the ferrous sulfate. Since the ferrous sulfate can cause nausea, the doctor may increase the dose gradually in a pregnant woman, but will ultimately try to increase the dose to the maximum dose that is tolerated well.
It is worth noting that prenatal vitamins do contain some iron, but the amount is relatively low compared to a specific iron pill.
If I can provide any further information, please let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm only taking it once a day. I got an email that they want me to use chewable or liquid iron would those be a better option than the pillnveriosn I've been taking?
It is reasonable consider the use of a chewable or liquid form, as your stomach may tolerate it better, but it also would usually be more important to be taking whatever iron you are taking more frequently.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How often should I be taking the iron supplements? Based on where my levels are at and that I'm almost 15 weeks pregnant
As noted above, it would be appropriate to increase the dose gradually, as tolerated. The next step would be to increase the dose to twice daily. If that is well tolerated, then it can be increased to three times daily.