Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Bariatric Physician (MD)
Experience:  ASMBS Centers of Excellence Bariatric Surgeon

I have read taking phentermine with zoloft will help with weight

Customer Question

I have read taking phentermine with zoloft will help with weight loss. I have been on antidepressants for years, went off lost all my weight, went back on and have gained 30 of the 90 lbs back in no time. I eat less than I ate when I wasn't on medication and still gain! Why is this not prescribed?
Also, I have been reading up and I see that concerta is also prescribed off-label as an antidepressant. Being this is known to cause weight loss, why isn't is prescribed more often in cases when weight is a big issue for the patient?
I am so stressed about weight gain that I have quit taking all medications and am now at the point of going into severe depression again, but I would rather be depressed and maybe go completely mad than gain another ounce.
Category: Bariatrics
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 5 years ago.
There are no medications known that are successful long term in helping patients lose weight. Phentermine works for some people only as long as they take the medication, and almost universally that weight is regained once it is stopped. Long-term use can be very dangerous.

My recommendation to you would be to take the appropriate antidepressants and work with a trainer that understands good nutrition and exercise. Learn to eat balanced food every 2-3 hours. This, by far is the best way to lose weight and keep it off, because you are making a lifestyle change and not dieting. A good trainer is also much cheaper than any diet fad or pill regimen.

Good luck,
Dr Dan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I do agree that lifestyle changes are important. My problem is that I was on antidepressants for a very long time, worked out and ate little. Went off the medication and was able to actually lose. Recently was put back on medication, within 6 months gained 30 lbs. I was still exercising and eating well. So, I have now quit the antidepressants and am able to lose. I believe they change your body chemicals or metabolism. I can only keep weight off if I eat 800 calories a day or less and work out.

Adderall can work for depression, but it's prescribed for that. I have seen a psychiatrist who will prescribe it as a last resort and I am just working with him, a therapist and still eating right and working out. Depression is serious, but when a person knows they are seriously doing right things and gaining despite that and then so many think they just aren't eating right and working out - that is even more depressing.

Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 5 years ago.
Hi again,
I'm not sure if you have a follow-up question or not, but I will re-state that taking Zoloft and Phentermine for weight loss purposes is neither healthy nor successful long-term. Although you may lose weight, sooner or later you will have to stop phentermine.
Good luck,
Dr Dan