Ray, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years in civil, probate, real estate, elder law
8534270

My mother died and her home is going to foreclose because we

Customer Question

My mother died and her home is going to foreclose because we are unable to make the payment. Will filing for bankruptcy help me keep the house?
JA: What state are you in? And has anything been officially filed?
Customer: Maryland. Yes we have received notices from the attorney stating that the foreclosure process has begun.
JA: Has anything been filed in civil court? If so, what?
Customer: Notice of foreclosure action
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Ray replied 3 months ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

Expert:  Ray replied 3 months ago.

No if her name was on the note it will not help for you to file bankruptcy.All you can do here is write the court and lawyer telling them that you are in the process of filing probate and asking them to delay foreclosure.This is the best you can do here.Even if they foreclose they still have to evict you so you may have another 2-3 months.They have to serve you with a hearing date for eviction once foreclosure is completed so you know when you need to be out.But you may have some more time especially if you write them and ask for more time.They might back off for awhile.

I appreciate the chance to help you tonight.Thanks again.