CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.
71563194

I co-signed an education loan (Sallie Mae) for someone who

Customer Question

I co-signed an education loan (Sallie Mae) for someone who had got a chronic medical condition and dropped out of school, starting the repayment period. The total amount is $70K and interest is 8.375%. Is there any other lenders who can refinance this kind of loan for lower interest rate?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 3 months ago.

Hello, My name is ***** ***** I will assist you today. Please give me a few minutes to write a response and identify any additional resources for you.

Dear Customer,

Thank you for using the forum. I am sorry to learn of this situation.

There are a couple of possible options - The U.S. Dept. of Education does offer refinance options directly (so the student can attempt to refinance through the US Dept. of Education borrower website) usually at a better interest rate.

You may be able to find a way to refinance the entire loan at a lower interest rate (and without the restrictions of a student loan) through a traditional lender (such as a home equity line, a personal line of credit, or other loan - also at a lower interest rate.

If the student is permanently disabled, they may qualify for a discharge of their debt - to do this, they would need to both file for bankruptcy, then file what we call an "adversary proceeding" (a civil trial) against the lender in bankruptcy court. For this I highly recommend retaining a bankruptcy attorney as the procedure both moves very quickly and the standard for discharge is very high (not many student's qualify for this discharge, but the student you co-signed for may).

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I do not know what means permanently disabled but I know that the person qualifies as person with disability. Is that the same? She has a chronic condition with unpredictable outcome.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
What is that he U.S. Dept. of Education website?

The standard for discharging student loans is very high (and it requires the student debtor to prove their disability in trial - not everyone with a disability qualifies), so I would recommend that the student speak to a local bankruptcy attorney (that has experience with these adversary proceedings) to discuss this option.

The Dept. of Ed link is: https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/repay-loans/consolidation