How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask DrakeLAW Your Own Question
DrakeLAW
DrakeLAW, Attorney
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Satisfied Customers: 720
Experience:  Attorney at Drake Law Firm PLC
89364048
Type Your Bankruptcy Law Question Here...
DrakeLAW is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Two questions: A friend of mine was discharged from

Customer Question

Two questions:
A friend of mine was discharged from bankruptcy chapter 11 (Jan 2016). A third party found out that my friend supposedly would be inheriting an estate in another country, after his mother passes way. (The father passed away a few years ago.) The bankruptcy judge's discharge included a ruling by which, the court sold the rights (for $1000) to a third-party to recover the proceeds from the sale of that property in the foreign country. (Three other brothers are also heirs to the same estate.) The 3rd party would keep 40% commission from the assets; the other 60% would be used to pay the creditors, and whatever was left would be given to my friend.
1. The question is, if indeed my friend inherits the estate when her mother passes away and the brothers divide the assets among themselves, how many years, under the law would the Bankruptcy Court have to expect recovery of the estate assets and payment to the creditors.
2. What power does the American third party --who is not even a lawyer, have in a foreign country to enforce the Bankruptcy Court's ruling and is there international law that cover this aspect, or agreements between countries to this effect?
I appreciate your help. Thank you.
Submitted: 7 months ago.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  DrakeLAW replied 7 months ago.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you, please give me a moment to review and possibly research answers to your question.

Expert:  DrakeLAW replied 7 months ago.

1. Since that is in a court ruling there is no statute of limitations or expectation. There would be no limit on time for that rule to apply.

2. Most foreign countries will enforce a US court ruling. There may or may not be international agreements between the US and that country, but its generally not necessary to get a foreign court to recognize the order.

Related Bankruptcy Law Questions