Ray, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years in civil, probate, real estate, elder law
8534270

Can a credit card levy your bank account in the state of

Customer Question

good morning can a credit card levy your bank account in the state of Delaware?
JA: What state is this in? And when did the issue begin?
Customer: I still on a account with my wife in the State of Pennsylvania. I don't deposit or withdrawal any funds in this account only she has access to this account and only her payroll checks get deposited into this account. A credit card company I had a card with a business gone bad has just levied that account. Is there anything she can do?
JA: Has anything been filed in civil court? If so, what?
Customer: they say they have a judgment against me that I am un aware of
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Ray replied 1 month ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

Expert:  Ray replied 1 month ago.

Nothing you can do here to get the money back, the notice she got was after the fact that they have the funds.You are able to file Chapter 7 to discharge the debt and avoid the problem in the future.But the funds here were levied if they have a judgment against you and you were on the account.The wife needs to take your name off the account and you may want to file Chapter 7 here yourself solo and discharge the debt.

Unfortunately the funds aren't coming back, this is an after the fact notice they send to the account holder.

I am sorry, please don't shoot the messenger here.Jut trying to give you honest information about the lalw and garnishment/levy.

Expert:  Ray replied 1 month ago.

Reference

http://www.nlsa.us/resources/consumer/procedures.html

You need to take your name of any bank accounts here, you may rent a safety box and put cash there off the grid so to speak.Pay with cash or money orders.