Attorney2020
Attorney2020, Attorney
Experience:  I am a practicing attorney. I have experience in business law, real estate law, bankruptcy and estates.
63724254

I have filed ch7 with my wife and it is pending. I had a 341

Customer Question

i have filed ch7 with my wife and it is pending. I had a 341 hearing. Yesterday, I have received money from an employment class action and I was not aware of that. I received about 16,000 (8000 in overtime wages and 8000 in interests and damages. I live in NJ. do i need to disclose this to the trustee now? can i keep this money? Thank you.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Attorney2020 replied 1 month ago.

Disclosure to the trustee is necessary since the bankruptcy is pending. Otherwise you could wind up in trouble with the federal court.

I hope that helped. Please ask any follow-up questions. Please rate my answer so that I may be credited for my time. I thank you in advance for your cooperation.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
can i keep this money?

that decision will be up to the trustee. Failure to disclose could result in a complete dismissal of your bankruptcy petition. I would retain a local bankruptcy attorney to determine the best approach to maximize the amount of money you keep.

Please rate my answer so that I may be credited for my time. I thank you in advance for your cooperation.