Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.

I was discharged under chapter 7, bankruptcy....7-8 years

I was discharged under chapter 7, bankruptcy....7-8 years later money was taken from my account by one of the debtors who was in the discharge petition...what can I do?

Hello: This is Phillipsesq. Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

I am sorry for the delay in getting back to you. Another person had locked the post thereby preventing me from having access to the post. Thank you for your patience.

You need to send a demand letter to the creditor/collector who took the money to return the money to you immediately because the debt in question was discharged in bankruptcy. Provide a copy of your Discharge Order and Bankruptcy Schedule listing the debt or otherwise you file complaint against the creditor with the bankruptcy Court for willful violation of Discharge Injunction. If your demand is ignored or denied, then you would need to file Motion to Reopen your bankruptcy case and then file Complaint against the creditor for willful violation of your Discharge Injunction and for sanctions.

If you had an Attorney for your bankruptcy case, you can contact the Attorney for assistance. If the Attorney is unable to assist you, you can use the following sites to find local Bankruptcy Attorneys:

Goodluck with your case,