Law Tutor, Esq.
Law Tutor, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  N/A

If I dismiss my chapter 13 filing, is there any penalties

Customer Question

If I dismiss my chapter 13 filing, is there any penalties against me or limit in the number of times that I can keep dismissing?
Kindly advise.
Submitted: 15 days ago.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Law Tutor, Esq. replied 15 days ago.

Hello. I am an attorney with experience in multiple jurisdictions and I look forward to assisting you today. Note: (1) If you want legal advice, please consult with a local attorney before acting or deciding not to act; information given here is for educational purposes only; (2) No specific course of action is proposed and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed herein; and By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms and other site disclaimers.

Please give me a few minutes to write a response and identify any additional resources for you.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Ok.... Thank you, ***** ***** in Los Angeles County Central Court district

When the new bankruptcy laws were enacted in 2005, one of the goals was to discourage repeat filers. However, people file time and time again and are called "Duplicate Filers", but there really is no set number of times that is a person can file before they automatically will be precluded from filing again. Generally, you will see that judges may issue sanctions against repeat filers if they are filing and dismissing time and time again within a short period of time. If this happens, the judge may issue an order with sanctions disallowing the debtor to file again for a set amount of time. But as long as no abuse of the process is found and there is no fraud involved, debtors may file time and time again. Of course, the automatic stay is another issue. If you have one bankruptcy that is dismissed with one year of filing a new one, your attorney will have to file a motion to continue the automatic stay. If a debtor has had more than one bankruptcy dismissed within a year of filing a new case, there is no automatic stay and the attorney will have to file a motion to impose the automatic stay. I hope this helps.

Your satisfaction is my goal, and I'm happy to answer any follow-up questions you may have.

If you have no further questions, please do not forget to leave positive feedback (click on the 5 stars at the top of your page), as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me.

A bonus is not required, but is always appreciated.

Expert:  Law Tutor, Esq. replied 14 days ago.

Do you have any additional related questions? If not, can you please press a positive rating above in the star rating section so that I will be paid for my time assisting you today. I am paid nothing unless you press the middle star or the fourth or fifth star to the right of the middle star in the rating section above so I do appreciate a positive rating before you leave the website. THANK YOU VERY MUCH