LawGuy
LawGuy, Attorney
Experience:  Over 25 years experience representing clients in business, transactional and real estate law.
17897874

A person came to my place of residence to serve me with

Customer Question

A person came to my place of residence to serve me with papers. I was not home at the time.
How do I proactively get the served papers from the courts? I want to find out who is serving me papers and get the papers tomorrow. I assume it is a credit card company because I am in debt with them.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  LawGuy replied 2 months ago.

You can go to the clerk of the court and ask them to look up the case by your name and see the complaint in the case file.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Clerk of which court? I have no idea who is serving me papers.
Expert:  LawGuy replied 2 months ago.
Start with the clerk of the county court. That is the most likely venue.
Expert:  LawGuy replied 2 months ago.
Your county court, that is.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The county clerk does not have any records about being served. What do I do now to find out who is serving me?
Expert:  LawGuy replied 2 months ago.

Other than retaining a private investigator, there is no practical way to track the matter without knowing the court issuing the summons. In other words, the summons or subpoena could come frrm anywhere.

You will just need to wait to be served.

Expert:  LawGuy replied 2 months ago.

I realize this is probably not the answer you were hoping to receive. Also, please remember that this is not a moral judgement on my part. As a professional, however, I am sometimes placed in the position of having to deliver news which is not favorable to a customer's legal position, but accurately reflects their position under the law. I hate it, but it happens and I only ask that you not penalize me with a bad or poor rating for having to deliver less than favorable news.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Is there an online service where I can find out judgement against me?
Expert:  LawGuy replied 2 months ago.

Just google "judgement search". There are hundreds, if not thousands, of such online services.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I know there are hundreds and thousands, which is why I am asking you which one you suggest and does not cost anything, so please provide a few you suggest.
Expert:  LawGuy replied 2 months ago.

I am not aware of any reliable services which are free. The ones I know of all charge a fee for the service.