Ray, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years in civil, probate, real estate, elder law
8534270

Attorney told me I would need to file chapter 13 bankruptcy

Customer Question

Attorney told me I would need to file chapter 13 bankruptcy because I didn't pass means test. Niw, a year later, I noticed all payments went to him. Being more knowledgable about process, and not as stressed, I reviewed means test and it appears I would have been eligible for chapter 7. What do I do?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Ray replied 3 months ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

Expert:  Ray replied 3 months ago.

Here you can convert a Chapter 13 to a Chapter 7 and proceed that way.Assuming you meet the test you can do this, in fact many 13s convert, it is pretty common.As I am sure you are aware Chapter 13 is really harsh and if you can do s Chapter 7 would be better.You file your motion and the court would sign off on it.If you have a lawyer they can do so or you can fire the lawyer and file your won motion.

Expert:  Ray replied 3 months ago.