How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ray Your Own Question
Ray, Lawyer
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Satisfied Customers: 37698
Experience:  30 years in civil, probate, real estate, elder law
Type Your Bankruptcy Law Question Here...
Ray is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Attorney told me I would need to file chapter 13 bankruptcy

Customer Question

Attorney told me I would need to file chapter 13 bankruptcy because I didn't pass means test. Niw, a year later, I noticed all payments went to him. Being more knowledgable about process, and not as stressed, I reviewed means test and it appears I would have been eligible for chapter 7. What do I do?
Submitted: 3 months ago.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Ray replied 3 months ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

Expert:  Ray replied 3 months ago.

Here you can convert a Chapter 13 to a Chapter 7 and proceed that way.Assuming you meet the test you can do this, in fact many 13s convert, it is pretty common.As I am sure you are aware Chapter 13 is really harsh and if you can do s Chapter 7 would be better.You file your motion and the court would sign off on it.If you have a lawyer they can do so or you can fire the lawyer and file your won motion.

Expert:  Ray replied 3 months ago.

Related Bankruptcy Law Questions