Legalease
Legalease, Lawyer
Experience:  15 years exp all aspects of general law
20355756

I had a garnishment placed in my check for 1996 dollars and

Customer Question

I had a garnishment placed in my check for 1996 dollars and some odd cents. My employer didn't start paying it right away because I had an additional garnishment on my paycheck. The judgement was in oct 2015 employer started paying in feb 2016. The amount on the judgement was satisfied in July 2016. I have not been released from the judgment as they are now saying I owe an additional 504 dollars in fees and interest. Is that legal? 573 judgment was satisfied.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Legalease replied 2 months ago.

Hello there --

-

Even after a court judgment is issued, it continues to accumulate interest to the plaintiff at either the statutory rate (the amount set forth in a state statute which in Colorado is 8 percent compounded annually -- See Colorado Revised Statutes §5-12-101 to 103). Regarding the "fees" requested, it may be the attorney fees and costs for the costs that it took for them to collect the money from you -- if this is a credit card debt, it is generally written into the credit card company contracts that in the event of collections activity the debtor must pay all costs of collection (including an attorney). Unfortunately, unless you can come up with the full amount of interest and fees then these will keep accumulating until you can make a payment in one lump sum of any monies then outstanding in the case. I truly wish I could tell you otherwise here, but I cannot and while it cannot hurt to ask the creditor for a breakdown on how the interest and fees were calculated, Colorado law does hold you responsible for the payment of these fees and interest charges.

-

I hope that this helps. Please let me know if you have additional questions. If not, can you please press a positive rating above in the star rating section -- pressing the middle star or the fourth or fifth star to the right of the middle star are all positive ratings. I am paid nothing by Just Answer for my time assisting you unless you press a positive rating above. Doing so will not cost you any additional money -- it simply acts as the trigger to Just Answer to pay me for my time assisting you today.. THANK YOU VERY MUCH !!

-

MARY

Hello again --

-

Do you have any additional questions for me on these matters? If not, can you please press a positive rating above in the star rating section -- pressing the middle star or the fourth or fifth star to the right of the middle star are all positive ratings. I am paid nothing by Just Answer for my time assisting you unless you press a positive rating above. Doing so will not cost you any additional money -- it simply acts as the trigger to Just Answer to pay me for my time assisting you today.. THANK YOU VERY MUCH !!

-

MARY