CalAttorney2, Attorney
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.

Can I file bankruptcy myself if I'm married and not have it

Customer Question

Can I file bankruptcy myself if I'm married and not have it affect my husbands credit? These are cards under my name only.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 month ago.

Hello, My name is ***** ***** I will assist you today. Please give me a few minutes to write a response and identify any additional resources for you.

It is possible to file for bankruptcy protection individually even while married.

The bankruptcy trustee may request things of your spouse for income verification and asset verification purposes - but their separate income and assets are not going to be effected (see:

I do recommend retaining a bankruptcy attorney to assist you with this - filing can affect any joint accounts you have, joint property ownership, and joint credit (even those accounts you do not wish to have discharged), so having the bankruptcy petition properly prepared and represented can make a significant difference.

But it is not required to retain a lawyer (just highly recommended), see: