LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have more than 25 years of experience in the practice of law.
15277592

I currently reside in Florida and despite my best efforts to

Customer Question

I currently reside in Florida and despite my best efforts to make arrangements with the property management company they moved forward and filed an eviction. I ended up in my current situation due to loss of employment several months ago however now have a good job and would be able to afford my rent moving forward. My question is can my rental arrears be claimed in a chapter 13 plan? Will this stop the eviction and allow me to continue my residency?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 2 months ago.

Good evening Julie,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

Yes, absolutely, if you can get your chapter 13 on file before the eviction is final, you will be able to pay the arrears of rent over the next 3 to 5 years and your landlord would not be able to evict you for the arrears of rent.

The filing for chapter 13 will immediately stop the eviction proceeding and eliminate the ability of the landlord to evict you relating to any past owed rent or penalties.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. As I am not an employee of JustAnswer, please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am compensated for assisting you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,

Doug

Expert:  LawTalk replied 2 months ago.

Is there anything else I can assist you with today?

Doug

Expert:  LawTalk replied 2 months ago.

Good evening Julie.

It is possible that your questions and issues might be better served by an in-depth conversation with me. If you are interested, for a very nominal charge I would be happy to offer you a private phone conference.

Please know that I answered your question in good faith, providing you with the information that you asked for, and I did that with the expectation that you would act likewise and rate my service to you. As I have already provided you with the information you asked for and if you have no additional questions, would you please now rate my service to you so I can be paid for assisting you?

Thanks in advance,

Doug