Maverick
Maverick, Attorney
Experience:  20 years of professional experience
16823287

I have just been called by a debt collector which was issued

Customer Question

I have just been called by a debt collector which was issued by Comenity Bank for a none payment on a credit card, what is the best recourse. I cannot pay the debt since I don't have that much money.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Maverick replied 3 months ago.

Welcome! My name is***** give me a few minutes to analyze and/or research your inquiry and I will be back.

Expert:  Maverick replied 3 months ago.

When was the last time that you made payment on the debt?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
June of last year
Expert:  Maverick replied 3 months ago.

If you do not have money to pay and don't plan on coming into any money anytime soon AND all your assets are exempt [see link below], then you can do nothing and let them hit your credit and/or sue you for the debt and get a paper judgment against you which they will not be able to collect on since you have no assets.

Or, you can try to work out a payment plan if you do have assets and income at risk.

Here are a list of assets that they cannot attach a judgment to in CA.

Please Note: (1) Just Answer’s site disclaimers apply to all levels of service; (2) Most follow-up questions are answered with in the hour; however, if I am not signed on, please allow up to 24 hours; and (3) If we are done, please assign a feedback rating so Just Answer will compensate me for your question. Thank you for using Just Answer.