Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

I have a commercial lease and my landlord is in the middle

Customer Question

I have a commercial lease and my landlord is in the middle of filing chapter 13. My lease is up Aug 15th. I was paying the Mortage company that seized the property then landlord filed after 13 and the mortgage company gave back the keys to the property. Do I need to be out of the commercial building I rent since my lease will be up August 15
JA: What state are you in? And has anything been officially filed?
Customer: Colorado, I filed a motion with the court asking who I pay rent to now.
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No I have not talked to a lawyer. I open my retail store in Sept 2015 with this landlord. I'm a little retail liquor store. And a single mom and can't afford a lawyer
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: The landlord did not put me on the chapter 13 bankruptcy she filed. I found out after the mortage company said they can't take rent check
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 9 months ago.

Hello: This is Attorney Phillips. Welcome to Justanswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Do I need to be out of the commercial building I rent since my lease will be up August 15.

Response: No, you do not need to be out.

Also, you did the right time by filing papers with the Court to ask to whom you should be paying rent. Once you get a response from the Court, then you need to send your rent to that person or company designated by the Court to receive the rent.

If you do not have any follow-up question(s), kindly give a positive rating to my response so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for doing this.

Thank you for your cooperation.