LawGuy, Attorney
Experience:  Over 25 years experience representing clients in business, transactional and real estate law.

Well, I was working company and supposed to pay but

Customer Question

Well, I was working for this company and supposed to pay but meanwhile they file bankruptcy and didn't get pay for my last paycheck
JA: What state are you in? And has anything been officially filed?
Customer: I'm in CA but company was in TX
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: I'm not too sure if they file bankruptcy
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: I don't have lawyer
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  LawGuy replied 3 months ago.

Good evening. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you. I am sorry to hear of your dilemma. I realize how frustrating this is for you and I hope to provide you information which is accurate and useful, even though it may not be the news you were hoping to get.

Unfortunately, your claim, as an unpaid employee, is that of an unsecured creditor. That means you should put in your claim to the bankruptcy court. You are lower in priority than a secured creditor, but it is possible, if money is left after the secured creditors are paid, that you may get something.

Expert:  LawGuy replied 3 months ago.

I realize this is probably not the answer you were hoping to receive. Also, please remember that this is not a moral judgement on my part. As a professional, however, I am sometimes placed in the position of having to deliver news which is not favorable to a customer's legal position, but accurately reflects their position under the law. I hate it, but it happens and I only ask that you not penalize me with a bad or poor rating for having to deliver less than favorable news.

Expert:  LawGuy replied 3 months ago.

If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (5 stars) so that I am credited by JustAnswer for assisting you. A bonus is not required, but is always appreciated.