Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters

I'm in chapter 13 bankruptcy. 2 years left on payments. I've

Customer Question

I'm in chapter 13 bankruptcy. 2 years left on payments. I've sold my house
We have been waiting for weeks and weeks for the judges discharge so that we can close on the house. The sale of the house will profit more than enough to pay off the bankruptcy. I've done all the legal paperwork with my bankruptcy attorney. But we close tomorrow we still havent got the discharge. What would happen if we follow through with the close of the house without the discharge? What would happen to me if I didn't wait? What would've happened if I never told the real estate agent about my bankruptcy?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Roger replied 3 months ago.

Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.

Expert:  Roger replied 3 months ago.

If you are in bankruptcy, you can't sell or purchase property without permission/consent from the trustee and the judge. If you do, you can face a great deal of legal trouble. So, you're lawyer is better off to reach out to the judge and ask him/her to execute an order granting you permission to sell the house and tender the proceeds from the sale to the court to pay out your plan.

If you don't have a court order, it is not advisable to proceed because the trustee and judge have control and oversight relating to any property and assets you have.