Maverick, Attorney
Experience:  20 years of professional experience

How do I go about debt relief and/or bankruptcy process? Do

Customer Question

How do I go about debt relief and/or bankruptcy process? Do I need to get a lawyer, if yes, which firms are good?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Maverick replied 3 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer (“JA”)! My name is Maverick.

Note: (1) If you want legal advice, consult with a local attorney before acting or deciding not to act; information given here is for educational purposes only; (2) Most questions are answered within the hour; however, if I am not signed on, please allow up to 24 hours; and (3) Please assign a feedback rating so JA will compensate me. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms and to JA’s other site disclaimers. [Proof that you are in good hands].

ANSWER: If you do not have too many non-exempt assets then you do not need to hire a lawyer. You may be able to do it yourself using an online bankruptcy forms service for about $200-300 dollars, plus filing fees. I would not waste time with any debt relief services as some of those are a scam. We are not permitted to refer a particular lawyer to you; but you can contact the NY State Bar here for a referral.