DrakeLAW, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney at Drake Law Firm PLC

Chapter 7 discharged in 2011. Have an HOA debt that I did

Customer Question

Chapter 7 discharged in 2011.
Have an HOA debt that I did NOT know about on a house I am not supposed to be on title on.
Is it possible to get a judge to allow me to reopen the BK and have the debt discharged as well as allow me to have myself back-dated taken off title?
I was never served and had no idea that I was even on the house or I would have taken care of this five years ago.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  DrakeLAW replied 3 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer, my name is ***** ***** I am an attorney. Please note:This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. This question and response may be viewed by other parties as noted in JA’s terms of service. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

Thank you for your question. You can still ask clarifying questions if needed until you are satisfied, there is no charge for follow-up questions. It has been my pleasure to assist you and I welcome you to request my assistance in any future legal questions you may have, by simply placing my name in the first sentence of your new question. It is important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Finally, please be so kind as to promptly rate this answer favorably so that I may be compensated and the question may be closed in the system. I wish you the best in your endeavors! –Rich

Is the HOA debt from prior to 2011?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.

Yes... from 2007.

To clarify.... It wasn't included in my BK tho, I didn't know about it.

Expert:  DrakeLAW replied 3 months ago.

Right understood. Do you know if your bankruptcy was a "no asset" case? That is, were any distributions made to creditors?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.

There were zero distributions...

Expert:  DrakeLAW replied 3 months ago.

Oh great, then by operation of law, that debt is discharged even though it was not specifically listed.