Maverick, Attorney
Experience:  20 years of professional experience

I am currently residing in the US (California) on a work

Customer Question

I am currently residing in the US (California) on a work visa. I will be leaving and returning to my home country but also filing chapter 7 bankruptcy pro se (simple case). Now, I know that I need to attend a 341 meeting so I have a few questions.
1) After submitting paperwork for Chapter 7, how long after will a 341 meeting be scheduled? Is it relatively soon after?
2) After the 341 meeting, are there any other meetings I need to attend? Or at that point would I be able to continue with plans to leave the country and continue the process in my home country?
3) If I was to leave the US before the 341 meeting is scheduled, do I have to attend? Or would the fact that I'm in a different country warrant an exception for a face to face meeting, would they allow this over the telephone?
Many thanks!
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Maverick replied 3 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer (“JA”)! My name is Maverick.

Note: (1) If you want legal advice, consult with a local attorney before acting or deciding not to act; information given here is for educational purposes only; (2) Most questions are answered within the hour; however, if I am not signed on, please allow up to 24 hours; and (3) Please assign a feedback rating so JA will compensate me. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms and to JA’s other site disclaimers.

Expert:  Maverick replied 3 months ago.

1. The court will hold the Meeting of Your Creditors about three to six weeks after your bankruptcy case is filed.

2. Within 60 days after the meeting, the creditors or the trustee may take issue with one or more of your debts and thus may object to them. If that happens, then a hearing could be set before the court and you may need to come testify. If there are no such problems, then you will receive your discharge as soon as the 60-day time period for objecting to discharge or moving to dismiss your case expires.

3. If you do not attend the 341 meeting, your case will be dismissed. There are no exceptions. It has to be done by you in a face to face setting.