Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

I received a deficiency judgment in 1993. I never reached a

Customer Question

I received a deficiency judgment in 1993. I never reached a settlement agreement with the holder of the debt. Its been 24 years since the judgment. Can they still try to collect?
JA: Because laws vary from state to state, could you tell me what state is this in?
Customer: colorado
JA: Huh?
Customer: Huh what?
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: I'm a financial advisor. The judgment appeared on my form U-4. My broker dealer suggested I should try to resolve it.
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: The debt was sold to a collection agency in 1993. It was a debt I guaranteed. I dealt with the collection agency. I offered to settle for half, they refused. I haven't heard from them in 20 years.
JA: Because consumer protection law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: It happened while I was a resident of Golden, Colorado.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Bankruptcy Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Roger replied 5 months ago.

Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.

Expert:  Roger replied 5 months ago.

Under Colorado law, District Court judgments are good for 20 years and are renewable every 20 years......and County Court judgments are good for 6 years and are renewable every 6 years.

Expert:  Roger replied 5 months ago.

Thus is is POSSIBLE that the judgment is still enforceable IF it has been renewed by the judgment creditor......

Expert:  Roger replied 5 months ago.

You could check with the court clerk's office for the court where the judgment was entered and see if it has been renewed or not......the clerk will have documentation if the judgement was, in fact, renewed.

Expert:  Roger replied 5 months ago.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions. Also, please take time to positively rte our conversation so I may receive edit for assisting. Thanks again!

Expert:  Roger replied 5 months ago.

Please let me know if you need anything further. Also, please take time to positively rate your conversation so I may receive credit for assisting. Thanks again!

Expert:  Roger replied 5 months ago.