How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Irwin Law Your Own Question
Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Attorney
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Satisfied Customers: 7243
Experience:  Lawyer & Real Estate Broker, 30+ years, foreclosure, land contracts, inheritance, probate.
Type Your Bankruptcy Law Question Here...
Irwin Law is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Im planning to file at small claims to my ex. and if awarded

Customer Question

Im planning to file at small claims for negligence to my ex. and if awarded what if he filed bankrupcy on the process or after me being granted the claims. What gonna happen with the money he owes me.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 1 year ago.
If the debt is a general debt for damages to an automobile or small injuries, if the person who caused them files bankruptcy, he can be discharged from any liability. If he files bankruptcy before you file your lawsuit, then you cannot file the claim in court. If you have already filed your claim in court, and the other party files bankruptcy then your claim cannot be processed by the court any further. I hope this is helpful.