Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Attorney
Experience:  Lawyer & Real Estate Broker, 30+ years, foreclosure, land contracts, inheritance, probate.
18215332

Im planning to file at small claims to my ex. and if awarded

Customer Question

Im planning to file at small claims for negligence to my ex. and if awarded what if he filed bankrupcy on the process or after me being granted the claims. What gonna happen with the money he owes me.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 6 months ago.
If the debt is a general debt for damages to an automobile or small injuries, if the person who caused them files bankruptcy, he can be discharged from any liability. If he files bankruptcy before you file your lawsuit, then you cannot file the claim in court. If you have already filed your claim in court, and the other party files bankruptcy then your claim cannot be processed by the court any further. I hope this is helpful.