Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.

I wrote some special software art studio in the past, and

Customer Question

I wrote some special software for an art studio in the past, and artwork we made with that software became trademarked and copyrighted for the art studio's client. Recently, the art studio has gone bankrupt. I personally benefit from using the software, and I know other artists have "personal copies" of my software on their laptops and use it to make their own artwork. So does the bankruptcy event increase my freedoms to use that software willy nilly for my new artwork, as long as I don't violate the trademarks of their one client?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 5 months ago.
No, the bankruptcy filing does not give you any more rights to the software that you have now. You would still use the software as you previously did. In the bankruptcy case, the business can be liquidated and rights to the software assigned to another individual or business; the business can just reorganize and retain its rights to the software. Kindly give a positive rating to my response so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for doing this. Thank you for your cooperation.