Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.

I filed bankruptcy and it was discharged in 2014. I own a vehicle

Customer Question

I filed bankruptcy and it was discharged in 2014. I own a vehicle that was paid off several years before the filing. It seems poor record keeping on my part has resulted in the loss of the title showing the debt is paid or I never received the title from the bank or MVA (whomever is responsible for providing this when the loan is paid). What legal responsibilities does the bank who holds the title have in regards ***** ***** title? They are not owed any money on this vehicle (but were part of the bankruptcy for a separate loan acquired after the car was paid for but approximately 3 years before the BR filing.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 5 months ago.
The bank must release the Certificate of Title to you if the loan has been paid off. The bank CANNOT hold the title hostage for an unrelated loan. If the bank is doing this, you can reopen your bankruptcy case to file complaint against the bank for trying to force you to reaffirm a loan that has been discharged in order to release the title to your vehicle to you. You may also file complaint against the bank with Consumer Financial Protection Bureau for abuse. Kindly give a positive rating to my response so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for doing this. Thank you for your cooperation.