Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Licensed attorney in private practice.

Where do I go to get papers personally and does

Customer Question

Where do I go to get papers for Bankrupsy personally and does one really need to file with a lawyer for a fee like $1,000?????
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Ely replied 5 months ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms. What part of Washington state are you in? This is not an answer, but an information request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.

I am located in the Tri-Cities (Kennewick), WA

Expert:  Ely replied 5 months ago.
Thank you.
The Court that holds jurisdiction for bankruptcy is United States District of Washington Bankruptcy Court. Website is here:
There is not a mandate to have an attorney and technically one can file without an attorney, but this is NOT recommended. Since bankruptcy is a complicated matter, an attorney is highly recommended. A simple BK will normally cost about $1,000 to $2,000 in attorney fees. Complicated BK cases will cost more.
See the link below for pro bono (free) legal help for BK in your area:
The forms for bankruptcy can be found here:
What is required to file for a Chapter 7 BK can be found here:
Good luck.
I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.