Terry L.
Terry L., Attorney
Experience:  Better Business Bureau. 18yrs bankruptcy experience. Chicago Bar Assoc. American Bankruptcy Institute member.

I filed a chapter 7 bankruptcy in Utah that was discharged

Customer Question

I filed a chapter 7 bankruptcy in Utah that was discharged in Aug. 2013. One my most troublesome debts is a private student loan that I took our in 1999 for $35,000 to attend graduate school, which I never attended. I am still $32,000 in debt from this loan with no way to pay and no light at the end of the tunnel. When I filed for bankruptcy, I utilized an online documentation service to help prepare documents. I asked if student loans could be discharged and was told no. I was not represented when I appeared in bankruptcy court. Since that time, I have learned that my loan, originating with SallieMae and currently serviced by NAVIENT, could have been discharged. I am considering requesting to reopen my case and begin an Adversary proceeding. Is this possible to do? Is there an a limit on how long after discharge a case can be reopened and such a proceeding begun? I have 3 kids in college and 1 in high school and I make $38,000 a year. I need some legal advice and, most likely, legal representation.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  DrakeLAW replied 5 months ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer, my name is ***** ***** I am an attorney. Please note:This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. This question and response may be viewed by other parties as noted in JA’s terms of service. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.You are right, if you did not use the loan for actual education expenses it is probably dischargeable. Did you at least list the student loans on your schedules?