How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ray Your Own Question
Ray, Lawyer
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Satisfied Customers: 38843
Experience:  30 years in civil, probate, real estate, elder law
Type Your Bankruptcy Law Question Here...
Ray is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Georgia bankruptcy question- i filed bankruptcy years ago in

Customer Question

Georgia bankruptcy question- i filed bankruptcy years ago in Georgia. Included the house in the BR, although have been and am still current and in good standing with the mortgage and no intention of leaving house. I have changed my last name recently through marriage. Bot***** *****ne, my homeowners insurance has become to high with current insurance I wish to shop around. The mortgage lender (and homeowners insurance) have my old pre-married name. If I got new homeowners policy to save money, I would assume(??) it should be in new name. My fear is that by changing the insurance, the lender may consider this a "change" to the loan and somehow consider it a new loan /refreshed loan (invalidating my bankruptcy). Does this make sense? Should I stay with current insurance company or perhaps make new homeowners policy in old name (which is on the loan, and filed with the county)?
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Ray replied 11 months ago.
Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today. You should advise the lender that you have remarried and ask that the loan information be updated to your new name.This is not a new loan here, they simply update the information to reflect your current name.You can shop homeowners under your legal name once you update the information with lender.There is no penalty for doing so, the lender will just modify the name on the loan documents to reflect you remarried.You want to use your legal name here both with lender and with homeowners policy. This would be the means to do with all of this. I appreciate the chance to help you today.Thanks again.