Ray, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years in civil, probate, real estate, elder law
8534270

Georgia bankruptcy question- i filed bankruptcy years ago in

Customer Question

Georgia bankruptcy question- i filed bankruptcy years ago in Georgia. Included the house in the BR, although have been and am still current and in good standing with the mortgage and no intention of leaving house. I have changed my last name recently through marriage. Bot***** *****ne, my homeowners insurance has become to high with current insurance company...so I wish to shop around. The mortgage lender (and homeowners insurance) have my old pre-married name. If I got new homeowners policy to save money, I would assume(??) it should be in new name. My fear is that by changing the insurance, the lender may consider this a "change" to the loan and somehow consider it a new loan /refreshed loan (invalidating my bankruptcy). Does this make sense? Should I stay with current insurance company or perhaps make new homeowners policy in old name (which is on the loan, and filed with the county)?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Ray replied 11 months ago.
Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today. You should advise the lender that you have remarried and ask that the loan information be updated to your new name.This is not a new loan here, they simply update the information to reflect your current name.You can shop homeowners under your legal name once you update the information with lender.There is no penalty for doing so, the lender will just modify the name on the loan documents to reflect you remarried.You want to use your legal name here both with lender and with homeowners policy. This would be the means to do with all of this. I appreciate the chance to help you today.Thanks again.