Maverick
Maverick, Attorney
Experience:  20 years of professional experience
16823287

I have been divorced years now and in the divorce my ex-wife was told that she is go

Customer Question

I have been divorced for 5 years now and in the divorce my ex-wife was told that she is going to take 2 of the major credit cards due to her being the actual user of them. I was an authorized user on them. My question is this, now she is filing for bankruptcy and I have a strange feeling that she is going to try and make those debts transfer back to me. Is this possible?
A little background about how un-civil things have been for us. She blames me for the fact that she got stuck with those debts. She won our home and her van in the divorce and was required per the divorce decree to refinance and have my name taken off both of those items. She never did and ended up ultimately losing the house and had her van prepossessed. She then mysteriously came up with the money to by the van after it was repossessed. Ultimately she is now trying to blame me for her having to go through a bankruptcy. She had that actually planned when were going through our divorce.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Maverick replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to Just Answer (“JA”)! My name is Maverick. Please note that: (A) The information we provide is general information. No attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by communicating with me. If you want legal advice, you must consult with a local attorney in person before acting or deciding not to act based on any information given here; (B) Experts answer questions based on the honor system. When I feel that I have provided you with a complete answer, I will ask for you to assign a feedback rating so that JA will compensate me for my time; and (C) You should not be concerned about any short delays between your questions and my replies. Please know that I answer most questions within the hour if I am signed on. If I am not signed on, then I still make every attempt to respond within 24 hours. Thank you for taking the time to understand how this site works. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.
Expert:  Maverick replied 1 year ago.
I have been divorced for 5 years now and in the divorce my ex-wife was told that she is going to take 2 of the major credit cards due to her being the actual user of them. I was an authorized user on them. My question is this, now she is filing for bankruptcy and I have a strange feeling that she is going to try and make those debts transfer back to me. Is this possible? 1. Not likely since you do not appear to be the one who signed the credit application and also since the divorce court ordered that those debts are her responsibility.A little background about how un-civil things have been for us. She blames me for the fact that she got stuck with those debts. She won our home and her van in the divorce and was required per the divorce decree to refinance and have my name taken off both of those items. She never did and ended up ultimately losing the house and had her van prepossessed. 2. If you have suffered losses or loss to your credit reputation because of her failure to comply with a court decree, then you can have her held in contempt and fined or thrown in jail. You can also sue her for damages but may not get anywhere since she appears to be bankrupt.