Terry L.
Terry L., Attorney
Experience:  Better Business Bureau. 18yrs bankruptcy experience. Chicago Bar Assoc. American Bankruptcy Institute member.

My husband told me he is filing chapter 11 bankruptcy after

Customer Question

my husband told me he is filing chapter 11 bankruptcy after i filed for divorce and support. the only thing of joint ownership from our marriage is a mortgage with a 16k payoff and a home equity loan with a 13k payoff. our property is worth about 63k. how shall i proceed?
JA: So many people have lost everything over the last few years. The Bankruptcy Lawyer's on JustAnswer helped me hang onto my house. Anything else I can tell the Bankruptcy Lawyer before I connect you two?
Customer: I left the marital home in february and have a protection from abuse order. TRYING to stay no contact. i live with my parents am 49 years old and am on food stamps and medical assistance. have a parttime job but thats all so far
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Bankruptcy Lawyer about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  DrakeLAW replied 7 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer, my name is ***** ***** I am an attorney. Please note:This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. This question and response may be viewed by other parties as noted in JA’s terms of service. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

Well I guess to begin, the good news is a bankruptcy has no impact at all on support. You should proceed as normal until you actually are given notice that he has filed a bankruptcy. At that time, your divorce will stop for anything related to property but you can continue anything related to support. You should then monitor what happens in his bankruptcy if he actually files. Lots of people threaten it but don't actually do it.