Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing Attorney with 10 years experience
91018665

A customer located in California (LLC company) owes us a lot

Customer Question

A customer located in California (LLC company) owes us a lot of money. They just dissolved the company and we have not gotten any legal notice from bankruptcy court. The company has no real assets that I am aware. The owner since opened up another company and paid us some money against the old debt. Now this customer is telling me that he does not want to repay the old company's debt and have closed down the business. My problem is that my CPA insists on me showing him the paperwork to make sure my customer filed for bankruptcy and we cannot take tax deductions without that information. What rights do I have now that they closed up the company (old) without telling us about it before.
Submitted: 1 year ago via Cornell Legal Info Institute.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Asad Rahman replied 1 year ago.

You should file a lawsuit against him individually and the company. This would allow you to argue that since he made payments from the nee company then he is personally liable here and acknowledges it. This opens up his personal assets to liability. If he is indeed bankrupt there will be a stay of your lawsuit but then you will have the requisite paperwork to provide to your CpA.