How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TJ, Esq. Your Own Question
TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Satisfied Customers: 12032
Experience:  JD, MBA
Type Your Bankruptcy Law Question Here...
TJ, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a judgement lien on my car. I entered into bankruptcy

Customer Question

I have a judgement lien on my car. I entered into bankruptcy and it was discharged. I obtained a Motion for Avoiding a Judgement lien & the creditor canceled the fifa. The DMV is refusing to release the 2nd lien lien unless I provide them with a GA Form T-4. I dont know where the individual is or can not locate him to release the lien on their T-4 form
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for the opportunity to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do my very best to answer your legal questions.

You should double check this with the DMV, but when you can't find the lienholder, you send a certified letter (return receipt requested) to the last known address on record (i.e., the address on the title), and if it isn't picked up and signed for, then you can turn that in to the DMV, and they will release lien.

Does that answer your question? Please let me know if you need clarification, as I am happy to continue helping you until you are satisfied.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do not have the title, it is financed & they still have it. I just want the DMV to release the 2nd lien so when the car is paid off they will send me the title. They said they will not release the 2nd lien without a T-4
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again.

There has to be a mechanism for getting a lien removed from title when the lienholder has not filed the T-4 and cannot be found. It's been several years, but I've done it before in the way that I stated above (i.e., the certified letter).

Here's what I would do: I would contact the DMV and explain that obtaining a T-4 is impossible because the lienholder cannot be found, and then ask if the next step is still to send a certified letter to the last known address. I would also ask them for the last known address that they have on record. Again, the DMV has to have a way to get around the T-4 issue. Lienholders disappear or simply refuse to complete the T-4 all the time. Lending institutions are really the only lienholders that will faithfully complete the T-4.

Give them a call, explain that a T-4 is not possible, and let me know what they say.


Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello again. I didn't hear back from you, so I'm just checking in to make sure that you don't need more help on this issue. If not, then please remember to provide a positive rating to close out this question (and please remember that your positive rating is the only way that I'll get credit for helping you, so I greatly appreciate it). Thank you!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, I found the location of the 2nd lien holder but they are refusing to sign a T-4.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Did you receive the message I sent?