Maverick
Maverick, Attorney
Experience:  20 years of professional experience
16823287

Does an employee of a brokerage firm ( stock brokerage),

Customer Question

Does an employee of a brokerage firm ( stock brokerage) , registered, is prevented from filing a Chapter 13 and a Chapter 11 and if so and does not qualify through the means test for Chapter 7, is that employee by virtue of his license prevented from any bankruptcy?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Maverick replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Just Answer (“JA”)! My name is Maverick. Please note that:

(A) The information we provide is general information. No attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by communicating with me. If you want legal advice, you must consult with a local attorney in person before acting or deciding not to act based on any information given here;

(B) When I feel that I have provided you with a complete answer, I will ask for you to assign a feedback rating so that JA will compensate me for my time; and

(C) You should not be concerned about any short delays between your questions and my replies. Please know that I answer most questions within the hour if I am signed on. If I am not signed on, then I still make every attempt to respond within 24 hours.

Thank you for taking the time to understand how this site works. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

Answer will follow in the pane below as per above parameters….

1. CAN you please provide more background information so we can better assist you?

2. Did you already apply for the means test to see if you qualify for chapter 7?

3. Why do you believe you cannot file a chapter 13?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1. Yes 2. No. 3. I read that Chapter 13 cannot be filed by a stock broker or commodity broker. Although I don't work as such I am licensed that way as a Series 7, my work has to do with the Compliance Department
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have responded to your questions. But I won't rate your response as there is no response yet. Only you sending more questions
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thus I can't pay unless a response shows up
Expert:  Maverick replied 1 year ago.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/11/109

As per the law above you are only eligible to file a chapter 7 bankruptcy; but not a 13 or 11 because of your status as a stockbroker/commodities broker. I am not finding any case law that would exempt you from this law based on your work in the compliance department only.

I would be surprised to see if such law exists since one could circumvent the law simply by making a recent and deliberate change to one's occupation. That said, it is a specific enough legal issue that would require the use of Westlaw software to confirm whether the issue has ever been ruled on. That software is region specific and requires a yearly contract and expensive monthly fees per region; so most JA experts do not subscribe to it.

You may want to go to a local law library and see if they have that there for your free use. You can do a key word search and try to read some cases to see if there is a litigated exception for your circumstances.

Expert:  Maverick replied 1 year ago.

Please assign a feedback rating for this answer so that JA will compensate me for my time. Thank you.