Terry L.
Terry L., Attorney
Experience:  Better Business Bureau. 18yrs bankruptcy experience. Chicago Bar Assoc. American Bankruptcy Institute member.
15345323

I am filing bankruptcy in calif. I need the legal statute

Customer Question

I am filing bankruptcy in calif. I need the legal statute that allows me to list federal. state taxes as dismissals, retirement holdings and car exemption. can you give me those statutes exactly as I should list on my chpt 7 forms
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Maverick replied 11 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer (“JA”)! My name is Maverick. Please note that:

(A) The information we provide is general information. No attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by communicating with me. If you want legal advice, you must consult with a local attorney in person before acting or deciding not to act based on any information given here;

(B) When I feel that I have provided you with a complete answer, I will ask for you to assign a feedback rating so that JA will compensate me for my time; and

(C) You should not be concerned about any short delays between your questions and my replies. Please know that I answer most questions within the hour if I am signed on. If I am not signed on, then I still make every attempt to respond within 24 hours.

Thank you for taking the time to understand how this site works. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

Answer will follow in the pane below as per above parameters….

For the car exemption:

If California’s System 1, then the motor vehicle exemption is at California Code of Civil Procedure § 704.010.

If system 2, then the statutes are as follows:

• motor vehicle exemption: Cal. Code Civ. Proc. § 703.140(b)(2), plus possibly the
  • wildcard exemption: Cal. Code Civ. Proc. § 703.140(b)(5), plus possibly the
  • unused portion of homestead exemption: Cal. Code Civ. Proc. § 703.140(b)(5)

1. ARE YOU USING SYSTEM 1 OR 2?

2. What type of retirement benefits do you have that you want exempted?