Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Licensed attorney in private practice.
7286322

Question from Massachusetts I was in a chapter 13 and my

Customer Question

question from Massachusetts
I was in a chapter 13 and my lawyer converted me to a chapter 7. We had the meeting of creditors 2 weeks ago. The trustee asked for a continuance of that meeting because she wanted to research a promissory note/mtg that I have on my ex-husbands house as part of a divorce settlement. I see that she has hired a lawyer to see if its worth anything. How long will it take for them to decide if they want to take it?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note:This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

Has the continuance been granted/agreed upon? What date was this moved to?

This is not an answer, but an information request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The meeting was continued to last week, but my attorney said we did not need to go that he was getting her the paperwork but she hasn't filed that the 341 meeting has taken place. So I'm wondering whats going on.
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Thank you.

If I understand your question correctly, you are asking when the trustee should decide whether a promissory note you hold should be included.

If so, the trustee will generally know at the 341 meeting whether or not they wish to make that part of the proceeding.

Typically, the debtor appears at the 341 meeting. I am guessing that if one's attorney stated not to go to it, that is because it was reset.

But a debtor does appear at the 341 meeting.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.

Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Hello again. This is a courtesy check in to see if you needed anything else in regards ***** ***** question because you never rated positively. I am simply touching base. Let me know. Thanks!