CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.
71563194

I received a chapter 7 discharge in Connecticut and I moved

Customer Question

I received a chapter 7 discharge in Connecticut and I moved to California. When I filed, there was an appeal pending filed by a creditor in district court regarding a civil action against me which was dismissed in a lower court over alleged misrepresentation in employment or contract for independent contractor. The creditor was asked in email to withdraw the pending appeal but refuses to take any action. Now I have to file a brief and 50 copies to file or lose my case Is there a lawyer who will take my case on contingency for contempt?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.

Dear Customer,

Unfortunately, this really isn't the type of case that an attorney would take on a contingency basis - there isn't an award or recovery that you are going to be receiving if you are successful in defending against the appeal from which the attorney would be able to deduct a contingency fee.

You are going to need to contact a local (CT) bankruptcy attorney with experience in appellate practice, and retain them on an hourly rate to defend you on this appeal. Depending on the complexity of the matter it may not be very expensive, but you are going to need to anticipate paying out of pocket for these services.

You can find local attorneys using the State and local Bar Association directories, or private directories such as www.AVVO.com; www.FindLaw.com; or www.Martindale.com (I personally find www.AVVO.com to be the most user friendly).