Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Licensed attorney in private practice.
7286322

If I get married and my partner has debt from before we met

Customer Question

If I get married and my partner has debt from before we met can I be help responsible for his debt?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note:This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

What state are you in, please? And what kind of debt is this?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Pennsylvania, Debt is government Student loan
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Thank you.

The answer is no. In PA, judgment and debt for one party cannot be enforced against the other. See HERE. PA has one of the strongest spousal debt doctrines where spouses are generally not liable for each other's debts. As such, even if they pursue him, they should not be able to pursue someone in your situation for his debt or any judgment thereof.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.

Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Hello again. This is a courtesy check in to see if you needed anything else in regards ***** ***** question. I am simply touching base. Let me know. Thanks!