Maverick
Maverick, Attorney
Experience:  20 years of professional experience
16823287

If I filed a chapter 13 two months ago and the case was

Customer Question

If I filed a chapter 13 two months ago and the case was dismissed, can I file a chapter 7?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Maverick replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Just Answer (“JA”)! My name is Maverick. Please note that:

(A) The information we provide is general information. No attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by communicating with me. If you want legal advice, you must consult with a local attorney in person before acting or deciding not to act based on any information given here;

(B) When I feel that I have provided you with a complete answer, I will ask for you to assign a feedback rating so that JA will compensate me for my time. Please wait until then to assign the rating as initially I may still be getting more information from you to formulate a better answer; and

(C) You should not be concerned about any short delays between your questions and my replies. Please know that I answer most questions within the hour if I am signed on. If I am not signed on, then I still make every attempt to respond within 24 hours.

Thank you for taking the time to understand how this site works. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

ANSWER:

Unless the court orders otherwise, you can file again if your CHAPTER 7 BK was dismissed. A 180-day waiting period may apply if your case was dismissed for failure to obey a court order, failure to appear in the case, or you voluntarily dismissed the case after a creditor filed a motion for relief from the bankruptcy stay.

(D) If this answers your question, please go ahead and assign a feedback rating now.

(E) If you are not satisfied with the answer, I would appreciate knowing why so that I can try to clear up any misunderstanding that may have taken place.

(F) You may request me in the future on new and unrelated questions by beginning the question with "THIS IS FOR MAVERICK". Thank you for using Just Answer.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Chapter 13 was Summary Dismissal not Chapter 7, for failing to file a Plan and Schedules within 14 days, can I file a Chapter 7 since it has been 60 days?
Expert:  Maverick replied 1 year ago.

Sorry, my mistake. The answer is the same since you never obtained a discharge from the 13. So, unless the court orders otherwise, you can file a BK again if your BK was dismissed. However, a 180-day waiting period may apply if your case was dismissed for failure to obey a court order, failure to appear in the case, or you voluntarily dismissed the case after a creditor filed a motion for relief from the bankruptcy stay. In your case, it does not appear that the court issued an order that says you would have to wait 180 days to re-file for one of these reasons; so you should be able to refile even after 60 days.