Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

I was molested as a child at a prep school in Orlando and

Customer Question

I was molested as a child at a prep school in Orlando and the man went to prison. I am just recently beginning to come to terms with the serious effect of my victimization. Can I still be compensated by the school?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.

How long ago did this occur?

Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

If it's been more than 4 years, the statute of limitations has likely expired under Florida law. Here's the statute: http://www.leg.state.fl.us/Statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&Search_String=&URL=0000-0099/0095/Sections/0095.11.html. See 95.11(3).

Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

Even if the statute of limitations hadn't run out, it may be hard to hold the school liable unless there was proof that it knew or should have known that the employee was a sex offender, etc. Also, there's no liability for the intervening criminal act of the employee.....but there is a possibility for negligence IF there is proof that the school acted improperly with information that could have made it clear that this employee was a problem.