socrateaser, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney and Real Estate Broker -- Retired (mostly)
10097515

Why would I get a letter from a bankruptcy lawyer if I did

Customer Question

why would I get a letter from a bankruptcy lawyer if I did not file bankryptcy
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 1 year ago.

The letter may be a "disengagement" letter, if you had a consultation and did not actually file. The attorney is obligated to act in your best interests, and not leave you without representation, unless you have found someone else. Providing notice of disengagement is fairly typical and covers the attorney's potential liability, in case you actually wanted to file for bankruptcy and may have believed that the attorney had abandoned you.

That's about the only reason why an attorney would contact you. Attorneys are not permitted to initiate contact with potential clients, unless they have had previous contact initiated by the client -- so, anything other than a disengagement letter would likely be a violation of law.

I hope I've answered your question. Please let me know if you require further clarification. And, please provide a positive feedback rating for my answer -- otherwise, I receive nothing for my efforts in your behalf.

Thanks again for using Justanswer!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
my stepdaughter is doing a bankruptcy and my husband received the letter, but we not know why we would be getting the letter

There's no way for me to further evaluate the issue, without reviewing the letter. Otherwise, I'm just guessing at the purpose.

If you would like me to review the letter, I will send you an additional services offer. You may accept or decline at your convenience.

Thanks again for using Justanswer!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He answeredit of what is the easiest looking but bit did not help with what I needed to know.

Dear friend. Please tell me exactly what you "needed to know," and I will answer you, directly.

Thanks again for using Justanswer.