Terry L.
Terry L., Attorney
Experience:  Better Business Bureau. 18yrs bankruptcy experience. Chicago Bar Assoc. American Bankruptcy Institute member.
15345323

While in bankruptcy a default judgement was entered. How do

Customer Question

While in bankruptcy a default judgement was entered. How do I get this resolved?
I filed for bankruptcy on 4/18 received a case number. I added a creditor on 5/9 and they filed for a judgement on 5/24 according to the documents. I was never served in person, one day decided to go ny the apartment and found in rolled up on the door. I told my lawyer and he said we would talk the apartments lawyer. So I thought nothing else of it. They ended up getting a judgement on 6/17. My bankruptcy case was discharged on 7/10 and closed on 8/23. Months I had a collections company call me about this once I gave them my bankruptcy case number ***** reported a zero balance and noted in was under chapter 7 on my credit. Now that I want to try and get a home loan I need to get this resolved.
Were they even supposed to be able to file this judgement?
How would I go about fixing this?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Terry L. replied 1 year ago.

you can bring a motion in the case to have the judgment vacated and the case dismissed due to bankruptcy. That will clear it from your record to help you with the home loan

Expert:  Terry L. replied 1 year ago.

to clarify, you would bring the motion in the state court case where they got the judgment. You may have to pay appearance and reopen costs though, so contact a local attorney to assist you as needed. Thanks and good luck

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
To resolved this quickly am I able to reach the lawyer on the plaintiff’s side and ask them to tell the court that this was satisfied? Just so I can move forward. Is that something they can or will do?
Expert:  Terry L. replied 1 year ago.

Since they do not represent you, it's hard to say. They may or may not, but it could be worth a shot to try.

Expert:  Terry L. replied 1 year ago.

did you have any other questions? If not please rate my answer positive. thanks! good luck