Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Attorney At Law handling education matters.
10285032

If my husband and I jointly owned property with an

Customer Question

individual who decided to
file chapter 7 and no longer pay their portion of the loan leaving us to pay her portion,along with ours and
than us finally having to file chapter 13 and settle with the bank that owned the loan making monthy pyts for 3 years. Is it possible to sue for any personal sort of damages? Possibly half (I feel she should have to pay half to us) the agreed amount we paid the bank over that 3 years?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Unfortunately, once the person filed bankruptcy, they received protection from suit for that debt. You could not sue the person for any damages, since the debt was extinguished to them and for you to sue them now for any debts that you incurred because they filed for bankruptcy and to do so could find you charged with contempt of the bankruptcy court order.