Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Licensed attorney in private practice.
7286322

How long can a credit bureau keep a reported debt on your

Customer Question

how long can a credit bureau keep a reported debt on your credit report that is passed the statute of limitations in calif and does the statute of limitations begin at the contract breech or just when the creditor gets around to reporting the debt to the credit bureau ?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: (A) This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms; and (B) the site allows experts not participate in phone calls and I may or may not be able to participate in this feature.
In CA, the statute of limitations begins at time of debt being due or last payment made - whichever is latest.
A credit bureau may keep a debt on the history for 7 years from the date a lawsuit was filed and seven years from the date a judgment was entered against you or until the governing statute of limitations has expired - whichever is longest.
Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I want to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty.
I hope this helps and clarifies. Gentle Reminder: Use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please rate when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces/stars and then SUBMIT, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars or failing to submit the rating does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith.