How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Terry L. Your Own Question
Terry L.
Terry L., Attorney
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Satisfied Customers: 2875
Experience:  Better Business Bureau. 18yrs bankruptcy experience. Chicago Bar Assoc. American Bankruptcy Institute member.
Type Your Bankruptcy Law Question Here...
Terry L. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a judgement I received in US Bankruptcy court against

Customer Question

I have a judgement I received in US Bankruptcy court against a person (Laurie) who defrauded me. I was told by my attorney I needed to refile it within 7 years or else it would be invalid. Laurie has real estate in the county where I reside and I filed
a copy of the "agreed judgment" signed by the judge in US bankruptcy court on 8/1/2011. Can you tell me what I need to do to keep the judgment valid so to protect my interest if she sells her real estate.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Terry L. replied 1 year ago.
you need to record your judgment against the assets of the debtor. You can do so at the county recorders office. Record a copy of the judgment, using their PIN #. The County recorders office can assist you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I recorded the judgement at the county recorders office. This is all I was told to do. Do I need to re-record the same document at the end of the time period or do I need to file another suit against her.
Expert:  Terry L. replied 1 year ago.
yes, you will need to re-record it to keep the judgment alive. you can do this 2 times, for a total of 21 years.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
A) by re-recording you just mean recording the original document?
B) At current pace the debt will not be paid in 31 years. That's 10 more than 21. Suggestions?
Expert:  Terry L. replied 1 year ago.
You can foreclose, or you can move to garnish wages. You would re-record it, probably just a form to renew at the clerk, but you can ask them to confirm

Related Bankruptcy Law Questions