Terry L.
Terry L., Attorney
Experience:  Better Business Bureau. 18yrs bankruptcy experience. Chicago Bar Assoc. American Bankruptcy Institute member.
15345323

I've been visiting my parents few weeks. I've just con

Customer Question

I've been visiting my parents for a few weeks. I've just confirmed they are in financial ruin. Do I risk being legally at risk or responsible for anything the longer I stay at their residence? I want to be of service to them during this hard time, but want to protect my own family. Thank you for your help.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Good morning. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you this morning. No, you have no risk of being liable for their debts and liabilities simply by staying with them. That imposes absolutely no liability upon you. Even if they appoint you their POA to act on their behalf, that also simply gives you the authority to act on their behalf; it does not make you liable for any of their debts and liabilities. You just want to make sure you don't sign anything that would impose liability. And, if you have a POA, make sure you sign everything on their behalf as follows: [Your Parent's Name]By:_________________________[Your Name], as Power of Attorney for [Parent's Name]