Ray, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years in civil, probate, real estate, elder law
8534270

If a lien is filed against a husband who is still married and

Customer Question

if a lien is filed against a husband who is still married and the house is only in the name of the wife, can the lien be on a house that is not in husband's name?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.
Hi and welcome to JA. I am Ray and will be the expert helping you tonight.
No here the judgment lien only attaches to properties in his name or jointly owned.Since you have it in your name it should be safe from any creditor claims against him.
As long as you leave it in your name here it will be safe from creditors and the judgement does not attach to it under NY law.This is good way to avoid the judgment in this situation.
I appreciate the chance to help you tonight.Please let me know if you have more follow up.Thanks again.
Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.
If you can leave a positive rating it is always much appreciated, let me know if you have more follow up, it is never a problem.