Terry L.
Terry L., Attorney
Experience:  Better Business Bureau. 18yrs bankruptcy experience. Chicago Bar Assoc. American Bankruptcy Institute member.
15345323

If my exhusband owes me back child support and is in

Customer Question

If my exhusband owes me back child support and is in contempt of the court order to pay it and them files for Chapter 13 listing me as his only creditor does the bankruptcy filing stay the contempt case? His bankruptcy lawyer is telling me I can be sanctioned
for going ahead with my case, also he filed his bankruptcy AFTER our court date was already scheduled and he hasn't made a payment in 2 years and was evading service but the judge allowed Service By Publication after seeing that he was intentionally ducking
service.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Terry L. replied 1 year ago.
yes, it does stop the contempt case. chapter 13 cases give you the protection, since the bankruptcy must pay the entire default to you in full during the case. Also, there won't be a discharge in the bankruptcy case if he doesn't stay current on the payments.